Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The creativity process can be learned

Growing up, I relied on my education as the main outlet for my creativity to flourish. I found that as the years went on, my education allowed for less structure and more personal decision-making which aided in this process.
I was caught off guard my first few undergraduate years at MRU when professors would assign a major project with a lack of description or steps to follow. As many students, I became frustrated with these new methods and felt more at ease with structure and strict guidelines to follow in order to guarantee a high grade. Eventually, I found true value in the challenge as it made me think more creatively and find alternatives on my own.
I agree that the creativity process can be learned but is ultimately up to the individual to see its true value.
 
Fortunately, I grew up with parents who supported the ways I expressed my creativity when I was young. From creating elaborate and pricey school projects to making my own jewelry, the support I recieved from my family truly pushed me forward. In terms of the creativity process, individuals have to take advantage of a support system which will enable them to thrive in an innovative-driven economy. I feel that this is the most crucial aspect of the creativity process.

What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently is that I still feel constrained by my education and workplace from further learning creativity and applying them. I hope that upon graduation and finding myself in the working world, I am able to identify what is important to me in the workplace.
 
One may oppose my point of view with the fact that the creativity process does not necessarily rely on external support and that a determined individual can thrive regardless. This is a valid argument because sometimes an opposing external force can push an individual to think creatively to perservere. This process in itself, is a way that can be learned.
 
A question that still remains regarding this principle is:
We are all creative in some different way, but does the method in which we apply our creativity measure our success?

No comments:

Post a Comment