Monday, March 4, 2013

Mindmapping enhances creativity

It wasn't until this course that I remembered the concept of mindmaps. The last time I remember using this method of interconnecting information was in junior or high-school and I had never personally used them outside of school.
 
Coincidentally, I am currently taking managerial accounting and have come across a few mindmaps.
This is the most recent mindmap I have used in this course:

 
 
 
I have found that mindmaps in this course have been particularly useful in understanding how certain accounting statements and budgets are interconnected. In addition, these mindmaps give me a better understanding of the managerial accounting process overall. Without this visual representation, I would not be able to understand the flow of cash, materials or labour in a business.
 
Although I have not made a physical mindmap to better understand a certain concept in my daily life, I believe I create them all the time in my head subconciously. I believe this because we make decisions in our daily lives with a number of alternatives that also have a number of pros and cons. By doing so, we make the decision or idea the central point where the branches are the alternatives that may have similar pros and cons.
The value that this principle brings to me is that I am able to better understand concepts and how they are related. This principle also helps me better explain to others who are new to a concept.

What prevents me from employing this principle more consistently is a time constraint. Alot of the time, I believe I have to make a decision or learn a new concept right away. With this mindset, I prevent myself from giving myself enough time to consider all alternatives or concepts involved.
 
An individual may believe my method of applying this principle as difficult to understand and communicate due to the fact that there have been no physical mindmaps created. Without the physical representation, an idea or concept may be lost with memory.
 
A question that still remains regarding this principle is:
Are mindmaps effective for those who are not visual learners? If so, how?

 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment