Monday, March 4, 2013

Change Surroundings

I am a creature of habit in many different ways. I have remained at the same part-time job for a number of years, and have made minimal changes to my tastes in music, television shows or even my sense of style.
 
However, I do change my surroundings frequently during study sessions.
I have found this wesbite as a helpful tool when considering my workspace:
 
On average, I will change my surroundings every three hours dependant on the time of day, level of noise or activity and material I am working on. I tend to choose areas that are well-lit (by natural lighting), quiet/silent and those that encourage studying (ie. the library silent study areas that are generally full) during sessions when I am working on courses such as accounting, finance or statistics. On the other hand, I choose areas that are aroma filled (ie. by Starbucks) and have a lot of visual stimulants (like murals, paintings, or a diverse group of individuals) while I do assignments for creative classes such as advertising.
The way I apply this principle in my workplace has created value for me because I can concentrate better which ultimately increases my grades in courses. Most importantly, my application of this principle makes my work more enjoyable.
 
An individual may feel that I change my surroundings too frequently which can cause unnecessary breaks in my work, and therefore taking too much time to finish an assignment or task. These breaks may also affect my work due to decreased concentration.
 
What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently is that I am still finding myself as an individual and am learning what I seek in my workplace. Until I feel for a variety of different workplaces, (much like I am able to move around the MRU campus in search for the perfect study area) I feel that I may be at my part-time job for much longer.
 
A question that still remains regarding this principle is:
If individuals have different environments that they work most effectively in, how does/can a business take this into consideration in the workplace?
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment