Monday, March 4, 2013

Broaden Yourself

I believe that broadening yourself is one of the most important principles in this course. Applying this principle goes beyond the classroom and into real life.

Degree programs at MRU strive for creating a well-rounded student by enforcing mandatory general education requirements. Most students take for granted these classes and assume that they serve only one purpose: to increase your GPA.

I can admit to viewing these GNED courses as such, but have realized the true value of these courses in the past few semesters. I find that a lot of the material covered in these courses can be applied to my major courses in marketing. Last year, I took a globalization GNED course and realized the material was very relevant to many other business courses such as finance and economics. Beyond course application, the material I learnt in this globalization course also enabled me to understand current events more indepth without relying on media interpretations.

These general education courses in my undergrad bring value to my future position in the workplace in that I am a well-rounded educated individual. They also bring value to me as an individual who is able to carry on conversations about current and historical events which shape our culture.

An opposing point of view may be that I am limiting myself to structured (educational) knowledge and that there are other ways in broadening one's self.
Unconventional ways of gaining knowledge can be attained in many other ways such as :
- Internet (Ted talks, YouTube, Wikipedia, etc.)
- Joining communities that one is unfamiliar with (ie. Sports or hobby clubs)
- Talking to different demographics/cultures/races,etc.

What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently is a time contraint. I believe my life as a student limits my ability to take on another hobby or book as I juggle courses, full-time work and a social life.
 
 

Illustration by Nancy Ng
 
 
A question that still remains regarding this principle is:
In terms of broadening yourself with knowledge, does it go hand-in-hand with the popular notion of "Jack of all trades, Master of none?"

No comments:

Post a Comment