Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Explore problems thoroughly

Based on the chapter's explanation, there are two ways in which a problem can be approached:
 1) Overthinking and reading too much into detail
 2) Not investing enough time to explore the problem
 
 
 
Ideally, a problem should be approached with a combination of both mindsets.
 
Obviously, not every problem needs to be treated the same but I feel the following key points can help to decipher how thoroughly a problem needs to be explored:
 
- Understanding where the problem roots from
- The severity of the issue
- Who is affected by the issue/outcome
- What impact you can make to the problem
- Any costs that are related (time, money, etc.)
- The number of solutions to the problem
 
Like many students, I experience a lot of anxiety and stress during midterms and finals. I find that I employ this principle creatively while taking an exam. For example, I tend to move quickly to the next problem when I am unable to answer a question in any exam and then come back to it once I have answered others to my best ability. When reading a question, I tend to re-write any important information in my own words to better understand the problem at hand. I have also become better at looking for key words that may indicate a specific process or formula that is necessary.
 
An opposing point of view towards mine may be that re-writing the problem in my own words can distort the information and therefore can result in an unsuccessful solution. Generally, my approach in applying this principle during exams has worked out in my favor. However, I agree that this opposing point of view is valid as my method is dependant on how a reader interprets the information.

What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently is that I tend to overthink large problems or issues and get easily confused. I think it is important that I take a step back and also consider different points of views when approaching a problem.
 
A question that still remains regarding this principle is:
In a business setting, there is a high risk but high reward in involving subordinates in exploring problems. What is a successful approach that management can take that considers the business and the employees?

No comments:

Post a Comment