Sunday, January 27, 2013

Communities best nurture creativity

As a business student at MRU, I have been in many classes revolving around group work. Through experience, I have learnt that these classes have opened me up to others and have made assignments manageable and usually a positive experience. Although many students may disagree, I believe these small communities form trust, boost creativity and sometimes even new friendships! As we all struggle through the similar fight of the student life, group work alleviates some stress and forces us to open up to others' opinions and points of views (usually, whether we like it or not!).

In my personal life, the best example of this principle in practice would be my connection with the yoga community. For the past 3 years I have been an avid Yogi and have appreciated the community's efforts in fostering a welcoming place of practice. Unfortunately, 4 months ago I sustained an injury to my left hand and am no longer able to apply full pressure to it. Upon recovery, my community has taught me ways in which I am still able to practice yoga considering my injury. I am taking modified approaches to poses that are guided by the instructors and myself. If it had not been for the motivating instructors of Moksha Yoga, I would have been given up on the practice and assumed that my injury would hinder my future in yoga.


Before my connection to the yoga practice, I never understood the power behind community. As I grow older and become a part of more communities, I realize that the power lies behind a collective group of people sharing the same visions. With true support, unimaginable things will happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment