Sunday, January 27, 2013

Capture and manage all ideas

I can admit to being the typical 20-25 year old female that has her phone constantly plastered to her hand. 
Although this is nothing to be proud of, it is a concept that I have to use to my advantage in managing all my ideas. 

I have recently downloaded the Evernote application on my iPhone, and have yet to become accustomed to it. When I am on the go, I tend to keep to-do and grocery lists on my Notes application and have found this very useful. I have also used it in managing gift ideas for Christmas! However, I have realized that the Notes application is very simple and many may avoid using it for its lack of customization. I am personally happy with it as I like to jot down ideas quickly regardless of aesthetics. 
I believe, if an idea is written in its most basic form, 
it allows my creativity to flow and transform it into its true, final form.

(iPhone screenshot of current Notes application)


The only downfall to my approach to this principle is that it is limited to written ideas. I have yet to take a more structured approach to capturing visual concepts other than storing photos on my iPhone. 
My last and most recent approach to this principle is my recent download of the Pinterest application. For the longest time I avoided it because I have heard of it's addictive nature (unfortunately, it is very addictive) but it has also been useful in organizing my online information into categories. 

(iPhone screenshot of current Pinterest application)


My daily life as a student is the opposite because I am still the conventional paper and pen type of note-taker. As I follow along in class, I make side notes of my own interpretations of the content being taught. My method has proven to be successful as it makes it easier to understand my own  notes when studying. As a third year student, I have been accustomed to always having hard copies of course outlines, chapter notes, assignments, etc. as I have learnt it helps me to visualize concepts better than looking at online versions (it also prevents me from opening another tab and distracting myself with Facebook and the like).  

No comments:

Post a Comment