Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reflecting solves problems

This principle of reflection desribes methods in which an individual can take time to solve a problem.
 
Some ways include:
- walking away from a problem and re-approaching it with a refreshed mindset
- giving sufficient time to establish different methods to tackle a problem
- adjusting busy schedules to make time for personal time (and making it a regular occurence) 
 
Reflection is important to exercise as an individual so that it can be applied to a workplace as a team to better establish efficiency. Reflection can create value to individuals as it is the first step in understanding one's self and establishing a calm mind. The importance of reflection aids in speeding up the problem solving process and increases the chances of success.
 
I apply this principle regularly by giving myself sufficient time to reflect on a daily basis. Although I do not encounter problems everyday, I like to make an effort to exercise this principle everyday so that I become used to employing it. Every night, I make sure to go to bed 10-15 minutes before I actually intend to so that I can reflect on my day. Some nights when I am stressed from school, work or personal life, I tend to give myself more time. I also successfully employ this principle while doing school work. When I find that I do not understand how to solve a problem, I take time away from it by taking a short break, working on a different problem or a completely different course, having a drink or small snack and sometimes leaving it entirely for the following day or two. My employment of this principle has created value because I am able to reapproach a problem with a refreshed mindset and am more likely to be able to solve the problem.
 
What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently are internal struggles. For example, when I encounter a very difficult problem to solve, I tend to get discouraged after trying several approaches. Often times, instead of taking the time to reflect, I push myself to attempt to solve the problem by using the same methods - which is of course, a waste of time as I am applying the same unsuccessful method over and over again.
 
Albert Einstein Quotes
 
 

 
One may oppose this principle's point of view with the mindset that reflecting causes over-thinking which can sometimes distort an individual's ability to solve a problem. Also, refleting can be time consuming and a waste of time especially when problems must be solved under specific time constraints. I agree this point of view can be valid because there are times I recognize that when I spend too much time reflecting, I do not leave enough room for acting upon my strategies.
 
That being said, a question that still remains regarding this principle is:
How can we ensure that the time spent reflecting creates value and not an excuse for avoidance?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment