Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Imagination powers creativity

Without imagination, society would struggle in innovating and essentially growing. This concept also applies to the individual. As technology evolves, I believe that we are more able to express our creativity, but it takes an imagination to create such technology and strategize ways on how to use them. Take a computer program like Adobe Photoshop for example, it is accessible to many individuals but it takes an imagination to use it creatively for advertising, capturing and describing emotion through visuals, and many other art forms.
 
Imagination can be fed by being open to different art forms like music, photography, live entertainment and others. I also believe that our imagination can grow from being receptive and understanding of others' points of views that can expand our knowledge and mindsets. Applying this principle can create value to an individual by enabling them to understand ways in which their creativity can be expressed.
 
I apply this principle by wanting to know different hobbies and interests of others. By doing so, I am able to expand my knowledge of different mindsets and how they employ their interests by using different forms of technology and art. This creates value to me as an individual because I feel that I am a well-rounded individual and can relate to different types of individuals. Also, I am able to educate myself in ways that I can use my imagination to drive my creativity. For example, I have recently opened my mind to typography and am very interested in the power of font type, size, color and etc. that helps convery a message or emotion. I research many different types on YouTube which help widen my imagination.
Here is an example of one in particular that I enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuiKJ0rRTAo
 
What prevents me from applying this princple more consistently are the internal struggles and excuses I generate that prevent me from finding ways that help expand my imagination. Using Adobe Photoshop again as an example, I would think that it is too costly and time consuming for me to learn and use but would truly create a competitive advantage when positioning myself as a graudate to businesses. By doing so, I neglect other alternatives to this program such as GIMP or Krita that can still help unleash my imagination in a different form.  
 
An opposing point of view towards this principle is that regardless of how many ways we attempt to expand our imagination, it does not necessarily result in creative success. That being said, it takes effort and drive to turn imagination into creativity. I believe this principle to be valid because it also takes a creative mind to turn an imagination into something more valuable to others.
 
A question that remains regarding this principle is:
Even if we dislike and believe that a certain type of art (ie. heavy metal music) does not help us fuel our imagination, can it still be valuable in how we employ creativity?

No comments:

Post a Comment