Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Plan your implementations well

Regardless of how good an idea is, its proper implementation is key for its success. 

Implementing an idea includes several steps:
  1. Identifying a main goal or outcome
  2. Identifying the tasks that must be carried out in order to achieve a desired outcome
  3. Determining potential setbacks and ways to overcome them
  4. Determining what resources (ie. money, people, technology and etc.) are necessary
  5. Identifying any important deadlines 

There have been many instances where I have wanted to approach an idea and have failed because I did not plan hard enough on how to implement it. I believe that this principle is one that is self-taught and roots from failed experiences. One example of this is my last experience with my resume. I have been wanting to work for a bank for quite some time, and have struggled to achieve this. Last year, I applied to every commercial bank in the city in hopes of being recruited, but did not take any extra effort to create a targeted resume. Since then, I have met with career advisers who have given me tips to create a better resume. Although I did not apply this principle successfully the first time, I believe that I am better prepared for when I graduate on how to use my resume resourcefully. My learning experience from this has created value because I can focus more on how to strategize on  marketing myself as a graduate beyond my resume.

One may oppose this principle by identifying that an individual is unable to plan an implementation well due to unknown external forces and unavailable resources. That being said, an individual who attempts to plan an implementation can be discouraged when unexpected setbacks and obstacles are met. This failed attempt can cause one to believe that planning an implementation of a task is a waste of time and effort when external forces can easily alter the outcome.

What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently are time constraints. A lot of the time, I am pressured to make decisions under time constraints which change my ability to execute them well. For example, I have to quickly decide on which spring courses to take due to the lack of choices, and the fast pace at which spots in courses are filled. As a result, I am unable to plan time schedules between school, work and personal life more successfully. 

A question that still remains regarding this principle is: 
With the speed of our economy, how can we better prepare ourselves to make time to plan implementations more successfully?




No comments:

Post a Comment