Thursday, March 7, 2013

Judge ideas carefully

Without this principle, generating a list of ideas can be difficult to organize and choose from.
There are many points to consider when judging a list of ideas to a problem and a clear strategy must be put in place when approaching them.
 
A list of selection criteria is the first step in judging ideas.
Examples of selection criteria are:
- price
- benefit
- feasibility
- effectiveness
- look/taste/smell etc.
 
judging panel

 


The group task in this week's class was to judge a display of a number of paintings and rank the top 5 of our favorites. After considering all the artwork, we chose our top favorites and decided then what our selection criteria were. This method helped me gravitate towards the art pieces I personally liked, and then considered why they appealed to me. This experience created value to me because I became more aware of why I liked and did not like certain pieces. Also having to describe our selection criteria enabled me to be more concise and descriptive about my personal views.
An added value of this experience is that I can apply my understanding of my judging method which extends to other choices I make, whether it be food, music, style, etc.
 
What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently is my biased opinion. There are times where I approach a list of ideas or solution and, naturally, I lean towards my own (or favorite) ideas that have had time to develop in my imagination. I am sure many individuals can agree as this approach is just human nature. I am aware that I have to consider all ideas equally and consider my list of selection criteria in order to narrow down my list of ideas effectively.
 
A question that still remains regarding this question is:
Does setting up a list of selection criteria truly eliminate potential biases towards certain ideas? Or, should a list of selection criteria then be generated before the list of ideas to prevent this bias?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment