Sunday, January 27, 2013

Challenges require risk taking

I believe that when we take on risks, we open ourselves to real opportunity.
The opportunity can be advancement or a valuable learning lesson. That being said, taking on risks can be a positive experience.

In my workplace, I believe I do take risks that push me forward. When processing business transactions, I take the risk of deciding discounts, returns and other crucial decisions on my own. Very rarely do I seek support from upper management to approve my decisions. I believe my approach advances my position with the company and also enhances levels of respect and authority. Without taking these risks at my workplace, upper management would not likely view me as a confident worker.

Like many students, I also take on the risk of choosing full-time post-secondary studies over full-time work. By taking this risk, I give up the opportunity cost of earning more money for guaranteeing my position in the working world as an educated individual. As students, we believe by choosing education we can further ourselves in the long-run.

One may look at this principle negatively because he/she may think that taking risks could ultimately set one back. In terms of business, taking on too much risk can lead to bankruptcy or excessive debt. To apply this principle successfully, an individual must understand both the positive and negative outcomes of taking on risk. Making a physical list of these outcomes can help an individual visualize the choices that need to be made. As mentioned before, taking on risks can still yield a valuable learning experience even if it results in a negative outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment