Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Good health powers creativity

Good health is something many of us take for granted when we are young because we feel that we have enough time in our lives to make up for poor decisions we have made. In terms of creativity, good health is crucial because it fuels our energy to take the extra step towards success. Whether it be to have the motivation to finish and act upon an idea or strategy, or even to think creatively on the spot.
 
Healthy minds come from healthy bodies.
 
We can improve our health by making small lifestyle changes from sleeping 15 minutes early to ignoring a late night sweet tooth and having a glass of water instead. By doing so, it can create value to your body by improving self-esteem, energy and ability to concentrate. In relation to this principle, good health can provide value by enabling an individual to have the energy to complete a project successfully. I believe that a sharp mind that roots from good health is the key to unleashing creativity within us.
 
I have recently applied this principle in my life by making certain lifestyle changes which have positively impacted my daily life.
I continue to practice good health by:
- "eating like a diabetic" in order to ensure I recieve adequate vitamins and nutrients (and keeping refined sugars and deep fried foods to a minimum)
- no longer pulling all-nighters and making time in my day to finish assignments and other tasks
- taking frequent breaks away from frustrating or negative environments
- learning to balance work, school, family and life better by keeping track of plans in a day-timer
I feel that these lifestyle changes have impacted my life positively because I feel more confident about myself and the relationships I have established so that I am able to recieve the support that is sometimes needed when applying my creative nature to work, life and school. By doing so, I improve my chances of success and more importantly, be able to work through hardships more effectively.
 
What prevents me from applying this principle more consistently is that I am still learning ways in which I can be more healthy. Because popular media can sometimes distort information for marketing purposes (ie. think of all the fad diets that are being marketed to our society that can be harmful or useless) and I find at times that I become victim to them. By doing so, I can change healthy habits into harmful ones that can set me back. I realize that it is important to maintain good health by filtering what the media tries to market to society.
 
An opposing point of view towards this principle may be that different individuals share varied meanings of what "good health" means. That being said, one individual may feel that "good health" roots from making decisions that may not necessarily be "good" for the body but good for the mind and soul. For example, one may believe that treating yourself with sugary snacks is good for the soul because it does not restrain the individual from wants, which can create inner-conflict. I can agree that this point of view can be positive in that treating yourself from time-to-time is a healthy decision but we must also make these decisions that also consider our mental, physical and emotional health.
 
A question that still remains regarding this principle is:
Even the healthiest of minds and bodies can at times, practice unhealthy decisions. That being said, can the odd unhealthy decision still lead to creativity or is that mere chance?
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment